This post was originally published on this site

The history of the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox begins in 1918, when more than five hundred Greeks, living in Sioux City, attended a meeting at a Knights of Columbus Hall. Until then, the more than a thousand Greeks who had come to work in Sioux City’s meatpacking industry traveled to Omaha, Nebraska, one hundred miles to the south, for occasional service. Led by Paikos K. Pappaphilipopoulos ( who later Americanized his name to Peter Nelson), the Greek community started a fund drive and purchased a corner property near downtown for $35,000 in 1920. The parcel included three houses, one of which they used as a temporary church.